Double Planetary Mixer
Double Planetary Mixer
Media : Solid Powders, Dough, Viscous Pastes
Mode of Operation : Batch Mixing
Design and Operation
Mixing Vessel - The double planetary mixer consists of a vertical cylindrical vessel (referred to as the bowl) within which two mixing blades (referred to as beaters) rotate. The double planetary mixer belongs to the family of change can mixers. In change can mixers; there is a provision to remove the mixing bowl from the mixer assembly either by lowering the bowl from the mixer operating position, or by lifting the mixer drive system. The lifting and lowering is through hydraulic operation. A cylindrical cover is provided between the planetary head and the mixer bowl. Charging nozzles, liquid spray pipes, vacuum connections may be provided on the charging cover.
Mixing Blades - The beaters rotate on their own axes, and at the same time they orbit the mixing vessel around the axis of the bowl. The clearance between the external periphery of the beaters and the internal walls of the bowl is generally in the range of 2 – 3 mm.
Mixer Drive System – The double planetary mixer is powered by a drive system comprising of a motor and gearbox that drive the planetary head assembly of the mixer. The planetary head assembly consists of a gear train that causes the planetary motion of the beaters.
Mixer Seals – The mixer shaft is provided with a sealing arrangement in the area where it exits the planetary head. The mixer seals in a double planetary mixer do not come in contact with the process material.
Material Charging and Discharging – Material is loaded in the bowl directly, or may be charged through nozzles provided on the top cover. Discharge of material is generally through manual scooping of material from the top of the bowl.
Heat Transfer – Double planetary mixers are commonly provided with jackets for circulation of heating or cooling media.
Video: Operation of Double Planetary Mixer
- The planetary beaters continuously revolve around the periphery of the bowl, causing movement of material from the vessel wall and directing it to the centre of the bowl.
- In one planetary revolution of the blades about the axis of the bowl, the blades pass through the entire vessel. After three revolutions most materials have been mixed. In 36 revolutions, the beaters contact the entire batch
Mixing Mechanism : Convection Blending
Homogeneity of Mix: Up to 98%
Capacity: Double planetary mixers are available in capacities up to 3 m3.
- The planetary beaters are available in three designs – rectangular beater, finger beater, helical beaters.
- The mixer may be equipped with a scraper that removes the material stuck on to inner walls of the bowl.
- For viscous materials, a hydraulic discharge system can be used to force the material out of a discharge valve provided in the lower portion of the bowl.
Industry Applications: The double planetary mixer is next only to the sigma mixer, in terms of it ability to mix heavy materials like dense powders, filled slurries and composites. Some of the common applications of the double planetary mixer are as follows:
|Conductive inks||Engineered plastic resins|
|Face masks||Fuel cells|
|Hot melts||Metallic slurries|
|Sheet molding compounds||Silicones|
|Toothpastes and dental composites||Waste solidification|
|Ceramics||Paints and specialty coatings|
Unique Mixers & Furnaces Pvt Ltd
Contact Person: Mr Jayesh R Tekchandaney
Phone – +91-22-25801214/25822385
Website - www.uniquemixer.com